Switzerland is granting temporary protection to refugees from Ukraine. They do not have to go through an asylum procedure, but are granted protection status S in a fast-track procedure. For this, they must submit an application for protection status S and register at a federal asylum centre (FAC).
Persons from Ukraine seeking protection can submit their application for protection status S via the online web application RegisterMe. To submit an application, they must have been resident in Ukraine before 24 February 2022 and have already entered Switzerland.
Persons from Ukraine in need of protection who have a place to stay in Switzerland and have identity papers should go directly to RegisterMe to book a registration appointment at an FAC. Registrations are usually possible from Monday to Friday by appointment only. The following exceptions apply:
- Refugees from Ukraine who do not have accommodation in Switzerland are asked to report directly to an FAC, i.e. without a registration appointment. The FACs are open around the clock as the first point of contact in Switzerland for Ukrainian refugees.
- Adult refugees from Ukraine who have accommodation in Switzerland but do not have any identity papers are asked to report directly to an FAC, i.e. without a registration appointment.
After registration, the SEM assigns persons with protection status S to a canton. The place of registration has no influence on the canton to which a refugee is later assigned.
You can find all important information here.
You will find all other addresses on the following page:
If you have questions about living in Switzerland with protection status S (work, social assistance, school, language courses, health insurance, moving, leaving Switzerland, etc.), contact the authorities in the canton responsible for you:
Ukraine contact points in the cantons (PDF, 303 kB, 25.01.2023)
Questions regarding protection status S (application, procedure, etc.) can be submitted to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ukraine: Ansprechstellen in den Kantonen (PDF, 303 kB, 25.01.2023)
- Faktenblatt: Schutzstatus S (PDF, 110 kB, 05.12.2022)
- Ukraine and the accommodation of persons in need of protection: Cooperation between the Confederation, cantons, communes, citizens and NGOs (PDF, 146 kB, 10.11.2022)
- Leaflet: Human trafficking - protect yourself! (PDF, 6 MB, 30.03.2022)
- Poster: Human trafficking - protect yourself! (PDF, 5 MB, 30.03.2022)
Java script is required to display press releases. If you are unable or unwilling to activate Java script you may use the link below to access the Federal Administration News Portal, where you can read the announcements.
Last modification 05.10.2022